The Table of Nations
10 These are the family records of Noah’s sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth. They also had sons after the flood.
2) Japheth’s sons: Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshech, and Tiras.
3) Gomer’s sons: Ashkenaz, Riphath, and Togarmah.
4) And Javan’s sons: Elishah, Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.
5) The coastland peoples spread out into their lands. These are Japheth’s sons by their clans, in their nations. Each group had its own language.
6) Ham’s sons: Cush, Egypt, Put, and Canaan.
7) Cush’s sons: Seba, Havilah, Sabtah, Raamah, and Sabteca. And Raamah’s sons: Sheba and Dedan.
8) Cush fathered Nimrod, who was the first powerful man on earth.
9) He was a powerful hunter in the sight of the Lord. That is why it is said, “Like Nimrod, a powerful hunter in the sight of the Lord.”
10) His kingdom started with Babylon, Erech, Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.
11) From that land he went to Assyria and built Nineveh, Rehoboth-ir, Calah,
12) and Resen, between Nineveh and the great city Calah.
13) Mizraim fathered Ludim, Anamim, Lehabim, Naphtuhim,
14) Pathrusim, Casluhim (the Philistines came from them), and Caphtorim.
15) Canaan fathered Sidon his firstborn, then Heth,
16) the Jebusites, the Amorites, the Girgashites,
17) the Hivites, the Arkites, the Sinites,
18) the Arvadites, the Zemarites, and the Hamathites. Afterward the Canaanite clans scattered.
19) The Canaanite border went from Sidon going toward Gerar as far as Gaza, and going toward Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, and Zeboiim as far as Lasha.
20) These are Ham’s sons, by their clans, according to their languages, in their own lands and their nations.
21) And Shem, Japheth’s older brother, also had sons. Shem was the father of all the sons of Eber.
22) Shem’s sons were Elam, Asshur, Arpachshad, Lud, and Aram.
23) Aram’s sons: Uz, Hul, Gether, and Mash.
24) Arpachshad fathered Shelah, and Shelah fathered Eber.
25) Eber had two sons. One was named Peleg, for during his days the earth was divided; his brother was named Joktan.
26) And Joktan fathered Almodad, Sheleph, Hazarmaveth, Jerah,
27) Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah,
28) Obal, Abimael, Sheba,
29) Ophir, Havilah, and Jobab. All these were Joktan’s sons.
30) Their settlements extended from Mesha to Sephar, the eastern hill country.
31) These are Shem’s sons by their clans, according to their languages, in their lands and their nations.
32) These are the clans of Noah’s sons, according to their family records, in their nations. The nations on earth spread out from these after the flood.
The Tower of Babylon
11 At one time the whole earth had the same language and vocabulary.
2) As people migrated from the east, they found a valley in the land of Shinar and settled there.
3) They said to each other, “Come, let us make oven-fired bricks.” They used brick for stone and asphalt for mortar.
4) And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city and a tower with its top in the sky. Let us make a name for ourselves; otherwise, we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”
5) Then the Lord came down to look over the city and the tower that the men were building.
6) The Lord said, “If they have begun to do this as one people all having the same language, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.
7) Come, let Us go down there and confuse their language so that they will not understand one another’s speech.”
8) So from there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth, and they stopped building the city. 9) Therefore its name is called Babylon, for there the Lord confused the language of the whole earth, and from there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.