Crucified between Two Criminals
21) They forced a man coming in from the country, who was passing by, to carry Jesus’ cross. He was Simon, a Cyrenian, the father of Alexander and Rufus.
22) And they brought Jesus to the place called Golgotha (which means Skull Place ).
23) They tried to give Him wine mixed with myrrh, but He did not take it.
24) Then they crucified Him and divided His clothes, casting lots for them to decide what each would get.
25) Now it was nine in the morning when they crucified Him.
26) The inscription of the charge written against Him was:
THE KING OF THE JEWS.
27) They crucified two criminals with Him, one on His right and one on His left.
28) So the Scripture was fulfilled that says: And He was counted among outlaws.
29) Those who passed by were yelling insults at Him, shaking their heads, and saying, “Ha! The One who would demolish the sanctuary and build it in three days,
30) save Yourself by coming down from the cross!”
31) In the same way, the chief priests with the scribes were mocking Him to one another and saying, “He saved others; He cannot save Himself!
32) Let the Messiah, the King of Israel, come down now from the cross, so that we may see and believe.” Even those who were crucified with Him were taunting Him.
The Death of Jesus
33) When it was noon, darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon.
34) And at three Jesus cried out with a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lemá sabachtháni?” which is translated, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”
35) When some of those standing there heard this, they said, “Look, He’s calling for Elijah!”
36) Someone ran and filled a sponge with sour wine, fixed it on a reed, offered Him a drink, and said, “Let’s see if Elijah comes to take Him down!”
37) But Jesus let out a loud cry and breathed His last.
38) Then the curtain of the sanctuary was split in two from top to bottom.
39) When the centurion, who was standing opposite Him, saw the way He breathed His last, he said, “This man really was God’s Son!”
40) There were also women looking on from a distance. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses, and Salome.
41) When He was in Galilee, they would follow Him and help Him. Many other women had come up with Him to Jerusalem.