Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
27) Just one thing: Live your life in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or am absent, I will hear about you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind, working side by side for the faith that comes from the gospel,
28) not being frightened in any way by your opponents. This is a sign of destruction for them, but of your deliverance—and this is from God.
29) For it has been given to you on Christ’s behalf not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for Him,
30) having the same struggle that you saw I had and now hear that I have.
1) If then there is any encouragement in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any affection and mercy,
2) fulfill my joy by thinking the same way, having the same love, sharing the same feelings, focusing on one goal.
3) Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves.
4) Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
Christ’s Humility and Exaltation
5) Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus,
6) who, existing in the form of God,
did not consider equality with God
as something to be used for His own advantage.
7) Instead He emptied Himself
by assuming the form of a slave,
taking on the likeness of men.
And when He had come as a man
in His external form,
8) He humbled Himself by becoming obedient
to the point of death--
even to death on a cross.
9) For this reason God highly exalted Him
and gave Him the name
that is above every name,
10) so that at the name of Jesus
every knee will bow--
of those who are in heaven and on earth
and under the earth--
11) and every tongue should confess
that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.
Lights in the World
12) So then, my dear friends, just as you have always obeyed, not only in my presence, but now even more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13) For it is God who is working in you, enabling you both to desire and to work out His good purpose.
14) Do everything without grumbling and arguing,
15) so that you may be blameless and pure, children of God who are faultless in a crooked and perverted generation, among whom you shine like stars in the world.
16) Hold firmly tod the message of life. Then I can boast in the day of Christ that I didn’t run or labor for nothing.
17) But even if I am poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you.
18) In the same way you should also be glad and rejoice with me.