Advance of the Gospel
12) Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has actually resulted in the advance of the gospel,
13) so that it has become known throughout the whole imperial guard, and to everyone else, that my imprisonment is in the cause of Christ.
14) Most of the brothers in the Lord have gained confidence from my imprisonment and dare even more to speak the message fearlessly.
15) To be sure, some preach Christ out of envy and strife, but others out of good will.
16) These do so out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel;
17) the others proclaim Christ out of rivalry, not sincerely, seeking to cause me anxiety in my imprisonment.
18) What does it matter? Just that in every way, whether out of false motives or true, Christ is proclaimed. And in this I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice
19) because I know this will lead to my deliverance through your prayers and help from the Spirit of Jesus Christ.
20) My eager expectation and hope is that I will not be ashamed about anything, but that now as always, with all boldness, Christ will be highly honored in my body, whether by life or by death.
Living Is Christ
21) For me, living is Christ and dying is gain.
22) Now if I live on in the flesh, this means fruitful work for me; and I don’t know which one I should choose.
23) I am pressured by both. I have the desire to depart and be with Christ—which is far better—
24) but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you.
25) Since I am persuaded of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith,
26) so that, because of me, your confidence may grow in Christ Jesus when I come to you again.