For the director of music.
Of David. A psalm.
1) I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
2) He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire; he set my feet
on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
3) He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord
and put their trust in him.
4) Blessed is the one
who trusts in the Lord,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods.
5) Many, Lord my God, are the wonders
you have done, the things you planned for us.
None can compare with you; were
I to speak and tell of your deeds,
they would be too many to declare.
6) Sacrifice and offering you did not desire
but my ears you have opened
burnt offerings and sin offerings you did
7) Then I said, “Here I am, I have come
it is written about me in the scroll.
8) I desire to do your will,
my God; your law is within my heart.
9) I proclaim your saving acts
in the great assembly; I
do not seal my lips, Lord,
as you know.
10) I do not hide your righteousness in my
heart; I speak of your faithfulness
and your saving help. I do not
conceal your love and your faithfulness
from the great assembly.
11) Do not withhold your mercy
from me, Lord; may your love
and faithfulness always protect
12) For troubles without number surround me;
my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see.
They are more than the hairs of my head,
and my heart fails within me.
13) Be pleased to save me, Lord; come
quickly, Lord, to help me.
14) May all who want to take my life
be put to shame and confusion;
may all who desire my ruin
be turned back in disgrace.
15) May those who say to me,
be appalled at their own shame.
16) But may all who seek
you rejoice and be glad
in you; May those who long for your
saving help always say, “The Lord
17) But as for me, I am poor and needy;
may the Lord think of me. You are my help
and my deliverer; you are my God, do not delay.